Basic Tips to Keep in Mind When Submitting your Hurricane Hanna Claim:
1. FOR HOMEOWNERS and WINDSTORM POLICIES:
2. FOR FLOOD POLICIES:
3. Keep a copy of all claim correspondence you submit and receive.
4. Take photographs and/or videos of the damage you’ve sustained.
5. Make temporary repairs to protect your property from further damage.
In the case of this storm, these repairs may include closing holes in your roof, boarding up broken windows, and removing wet building materials from your property. This is an obligation under each of your policies.
6. Do not sign agreements for repairs with strangers approaching your property.
Make sure you are hiring reputable contractors. Unfortunately, we have seen a number of cases where inexperienced or dishonest contractors and/or public adjusters take advantage of property owners dealing with catastrophic events.
7. We do not advocate filing a lawsuit until you have completed the claims process, and ONLY IF you are not afforded the full coverage you’ve paid for.
For flood claims, it may never be advantageous to hire a lawyer, as you will never be entitled to attorney’s fees and, therefore, attorney’s fees would come out of your insurance payment amount.