Disasters and Damaged Homes: Restoration Assessment and You
Property damage, whether it be to our valuables, cars, or in this case, homes, is something that most people have had to deal with in their lives.
However, if a natural disaster or other emergency causes damage to your home, it’s key to understand how to assess restoration costs.
The bad faith insurance lawyers at Millin & Millin are here to explain the process as well as be there for you if an insurance claim is filed but denied unjustly.
Role of Disaster Relief Agencies
Disaster relief agencies are organizations trained to assess the damages caused by a variety of incidents and are instrumental when you work with your insurance company.
These agencies can:
- • help clean up the mess
- • help to gather evidence toward your claim as well as work with the adjuster
- • generate an estimate for restoration costs
- • occasionally provide aid and help to rebuild themselves
What To Do in Case of a Disaster-Related Emergency and Damage
After you’ve ensured the safety of everyone in the home and contacted emergency responders, it’s time to take the next steps in the restoration process.
A general step-by-step guide works like this:
- Assess the damage to your home through photo and video evidence, but do not place yourself in danger to do so.
- Keep detailed records of receipts, invoices, and bills you paid in regards to the damages.
- Contact your insurance provider as soon as possible and begin the claim-filing process.
Do NOT attempt to move or clean up the damage if you decide to file a claim, or the insurance company may blame you.
What Determines Compensation for Home Damages?
You should note that the amount you are compensated for depends on many factors, so keep this in mind if you file a claim.
These variables include:
- • the amount of damage and to what extent
- • how long it took to file the claim
- • type of disaster that occurred
- • your policy’s available coverage
If you don’t believe you were compensated fairly or your insurance claim was outright denied, that’s where Millin and Millin come in!
Insurance Claim Denied? Millin & Millin Can Help!
If the damage has been assessed correctly but your insurance claim was denied, it’s time to reach out to the professional bad faith insurance lawyers at Millin and Millin. Our team has years of experience and can make things right!